Brad MartinOctober 3, 2019
In order for a cannabis strain to be balanced, it needs to have both THC and CBD compounds at intermediate and near-equal levels.Alternatively, if a cannabis strain has a higher value of THC to a negligible value of CBD (e.g., 10-30% THC, trace amounts of CBD), it’s considered a high (or potent) THC strain. The same is true in reverse, for CBD dominant strains need to have higher ratios of CBD to THC to be considered as such (e.g., 5-20% CBD, THC under 5%).
Thus, balanced strains fall in between these two poles, usually hitting between 5-15% THC and CBD simultaneously.
Though it may be easier to find THC dominant strains, balanced varieties are gaining popularity due to increased consumer interest in CBD, the compound’s potential medical benefits, and lesser psychoactive effect. NEWS, EVENTS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, AND MORE!
Join the Leafly Canada Community
Below, we summarize details for balanced cannabinoid content dried flower listings placed on web stores with Canadian recreational cannabis products for sale.
NEWS, EVENTS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, AND MORE!
For this summary, we filter dried flower cannabis product listings by cannabinoid ratio, selecting for listings with a 0.8-1.2 ratio of THC to CBD, using the average of the cannabinoid content range given by each vendor.
Below you’ll find details for the top ten offerings with the highest cannabinoid content, whether it be THC dominant or CBD dominant.
The Flowr Group ran this listing on the BC provincial webstore for a short period of time at the start of Canada’s legalization. Actually Paradise Seeds’ Durga Mata 2, this cultivar makes 2:1 CBD to THC, while cannabinoid content for the listing ranges between 7% and 17% for both THC and CBD values.
High in caryophyllene and myrcene, the producer describes the flavour profile as “earthy, citrusy [in] taste and smell.”
In Alberta, Acreage Pharms lists their CBD Kush as ranging from 6-14% THC and 8-14% CBD. Dominant terpenes are myrcene, pinene, and limonene. The breeder Dutch Passion carries a CBD Kush with a similar cannabinoid ratio (it’s a cross between Kandy Kush and an unknown CBD dominant cultivar).
Note the sum of the maximums total 28% THC and CBD. Typically, THC and CBD have a reciprocal relationship, if one is high in the range, the other will be low. When I purchased this offering, it arrived with 6.38% THC and 9.06% CBD.
TerrAscend has their No. 302 Warlock in a few provincial markets under their Haven St. brand. Dominant in caryophyllene, myrcene, limonene, and guaiol, the vendor calls it a mix of floral, earthy, and sweet aromas.
Content ranges from 7%-13% for both THC and CBD. Originally bred by Magnus Genetics, Warlock is now carried by Serious Seeds. The THC dominant version of Warlock was crossed with a specialized cut of Cannatonic sourced from the House of the Great Gardener to create Warlock CBD.
Equalize by Tokyo Smoke is a balanced offering available at several stores nationwide. Most listings do not give the specific cultivar, however, at the Delta-9 online store the offering is shown as Babba’s Erkel (Cookies).
For the listing showing the highest range average in cannabinoid content (on Alberta Cannabis’ online store), THC and CBD content ranges from 5%-15% for both cannabinoids. Dominant terpenes are listed in Alberta as limonene, caryophyllene, and myrcene, but some listings do show alpha and beta-pinene with nerolidol as dominant.
Another offering seemingly unique to Tokyo Smoke available in the Alberta cannabis store, Ease by Tokyo Smoke offers a balanced profile that leans towards a 2:1 ratio of CBD to THC.
Content for the listing with the highest content averages 8.5% THC and 10% CBD. The vendor describes the flavour profile as “sweet citrus and musky tropical notes,” and dominant terpenes as caryophyllene, myrcene, and limonene. Leafly attributes this lineage to a cultivar called JacKinGun, which is also available from WeedMD.
Sold under MedReleaf‘s AltaVie brand, this product has a similar genetic profile to Amnesia CBD by breeder Dinafem. Cannabinoid content falls into a fairly tight range, about 8%-10% for both THC and CBD, making for an average total cannabinoid content of 18%, well above average content for a CBD dominant offering.
Dominant terpenes are myrcene, alpha pinene, beta pinene, and limonene. The listing at the BC Cannabis online store refers to the aroma as “piney, citrusy, and musky.”
Listed on the BC Cannabis Store, Babba’s Erkle Cookies (B.E.C) is a cross of Purple Erkle and Bubba Kush. Cannabinoid content ranges from 8%-10% for both THC and CBD while average content totals 18%.
The listing with the high cannabinoid content was active from late October 2018 to early November 2018, however, this cultivar is available from multiple producers. Dominant terpenes are myrcene and pinene, and the flavour profile is described as herbal, spicy, with a citrus scent.
Sold under the Kiwi brand in Alberta, California Orange or Cali-O is a balanced offering averaging 9% THC and 9% CBD. Both cannabinoid ranges span from 6%-12% for both.
The listing describes the flavour profile as highlighting citrus and herb notes. Dominant terpenes are limonene, linalool, and both alpha and beta pinene. This listing went inactive January 2019 and it reappeared early July 2019 with higher CBD maximum value in the cannabinoid range.
Sold under Tweed‘s LBS brand, Palm Tree CBD offers a balanced profile in an indica dominant flower. Content ranges widely, for example, on the Ontario Cannabis Store site where THC content ranges from 3% to 13%, and CBD content ranges from 5% to 12%.
The terpene composition includes some unique elements; alpha-pinene, eudesmols, guaiol, and myrcene are dominant. The genetics aren’t given by the producer, however, the listing description for this offering in the BC Cannabis store notes this cultivar is also referred to as Super Nordle.
LP Canada’s Island Garden uses a tiered grading system for their dried flower. Buds sold under their Master tier are “hand selected,” “hand burped,” and are described as having a higher level of CBD. The Craft tier will have lower cannabinoid content, while the Artisan tier is sold in milled form. The listing identified here actually comes from the mid-tier Craft sub-section.
Cannabinoid content for the latest listing (June 2018) ranges from 6.7%-10.99% THC and 3.99%-11.5% CBD, average content rests at 8.8% THC and 7.7% CBD. Dominant terpenes are caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene, and pinene. Most listings don’t show a lineage for this offering, however, the listing in the New Brunswick online store notes this as similar to CBD Shark.
Keep in mind, regardless of dominant cannabinoid, the average range for a dried cannabis product available recreationally is 16.8% (THC+CBD). Range averages for all of the offerings discussed here met or surpassed this average.
Contrary to the high CBD dominant cultivars we looked at, these offerings have a wider expanse of flavour character.